Monday, February 20, 2012

Enchanting Nepal

There was no lengthy planning involved- we just made up our minds one day to go to Nepal. A decision we will never regret. The trip was organized by a recognized travel agent in Qatar and they did a splendid job - pick up at the airport, stay at 5 star hotels at Kathmandu and Pokhara and a guided sightseeing tour. The only additional item not included in the package was our decision to fly to Mt. Everest. And that turned out to be the best part!

The trip from Kathmandu to Mt. Everest was on a Beechcraft serviced by
Guna Airlines. It was a sunny day (we were lucky, a hint of fog and the flight would be cancelled!) . We were amused ( and nervous too) after seeing the pilot himself doing the maintenance check before take-off! The Beechcraft had only 16 seats  with a window seat guaranteed for each passenger- no wonder, the aircraft was so small that we had to stoop to enter. The real bonus was when the pilots invited us into the cockpit one by one to show us the mountain range, especially Mt. Everest and Mt. Gowrishanker- it is not every day that we get a chance to be in a flight's cockpit with the pilot and the co-pilot giving a running commentary! Anyways the kids loved it.


A view of the flight's interior.










The view of Mt. Everest from my window was nothing short of a feast for the eyes!

 I would definitely urge everyone reading this post to make a trip to Nepal. It is cheap and Indians do not require a visa! Bon Voyage! Scroll down to see a few more pictures.








Kumari, the living Goddess of Nepal will make her scheduled entrance from the middle window
At the palace in Bhaktapur 


 The serene Phewa lake


Where the Nepali kings bathed once upon a time!


Davi's Falls


Stopping to pick up a few souvenirs..


                                                    The thunderbolt!

                                                     
                                                    View from the hotel at Pokhara



2 comments:

Rummuser said...

A nice blog you have here. I am glad that you commented on my blog and I have come to know of you and your blog. I have subscribed to your blog by email and will comment wherever I can.

Nepal has always been a favourite place for me to visit though I last visited it in 1999. Since then, my life has not been my own to live as I would like to and I have not traveled much. Once things do settle down, I intend going to Nepal among many other places as well.

Sree said...

Thank you for your support. I am happy to note that you have made a wonderful recovery from the surgery - that explains your trip to the cinema recently!- and I hope you will be able to do whatever that is left undone. I thoroughly enjoy your blogs and look forward to recieving them in my mail each day. Have a very productive day ahead!